Northlight's Internship program is a comprehensive, part-time opportunity for undergraduate students, graduate students, recent college graduates and early-career professionals. The internship program is structured to meet the demands of the company while also accommodating individual needs.
Internships are available in the following areas
Arts Administration/Casting (complete job description)
Education/Teaching Artist (complete job description)
Literary Management/Dramaturgy (complete job description)
Marketing (complete job description)
Interns at Northlight:
- Work 15 to 18 hours a week for approximately 12 weeks.
- Are given training and leadership, as well as specific duties and projects in one department under the guidance of department managers.
- Attend full staff meetings and departmental meetings.
- Have various opportunities to interface with staff and visiting professionals.
- Have access to a computer work station and all office, rehearsal and studio areas.
- Receive 2 free tickets to Northlight productions, subject to availability.
- Are included in the planning and presentation of readings, donor events and staff potlucks.
Internships for Northlight's 2014 Summer Camp
All Summer Camp Internship submissions are processed on a first come, first served basis with a final application deadline of March 1, 2014.
Counselor (complete job description)
Camp Counselor Assistant/Counselor-in-Training (complete job description)
Administration (complete job description)
Production (complete job description)
Stage Management (complete job description)
Internships are usually available in the Fall, Winter/Spring and Summer. Although Northlight internships are unpaid, our interns receive college credit (as arranged by the student with his or her university), tickets to Northlight shows, and the opportunity to use industry discounts available to members of the Chicago theatre community.
A complete application includes all of the following:
1a. A Northlight Theatre application form in any area except education (click here for application)
1b. And/or a Northlight Theatre application form specifically in education (click here for application)
2. A cover letter indicating your area(s) of interest and enthusiasm
3. A professional resume including administrative and theatrical experience
4. Two letters of recommendation (employers, professors, etc.)
All materials should be submitted to:
Lynn Baber, Artistic Administrator
Once we have received your application our office will be in touch to confirm receipt of your materials, request additional information, and/or set-up an interview.
Please note that some departments prefer an in-person interview, though phone interviews can be arranged in most cases.
Fall: Internship application deadline Jul 1, internship start date Sep 15.
Spring: Internship application deadline Nov 1, internship start date Jan 15.
Summer: Internship application deadline Mar 1, internship start date Jun 1.
*all start dates are flexible