Northlight's Internship program is a comprehensive, part-time opportunity for undergraduate students, graduate students, recent college graduates and early-career professionals. The internship program is structured to meet the demands of the company while also accommodating individual needs.
Internships are available in the following areas
Casting & Artistic Administration (complete job description)
Dramaturgy & Literary Management (complete job description)
Education & Teaching Artistry (complete job description)
Marketing (complete job description)
Development (complete job description)
Interns at Northlight:
- Work 15 to 18 hours a week for approximately 12 weeks.
- Are given training and leadership, as well as specific duties and projects in one department under the guidance of department managers.
- Attend full staff meetings and departmental meetings.
- Have various opportunities to interface with staff and visiting professionals.
- Have access to a computer work station and all office, rehearsal and studio areas.
- Receive 2 free tickets to Northlight productions, subject to availability.
- Are included in the planning and presentation of readings, donor events and staff potlucks.
Internships for Northlight's 2016 Summer Camp
All Summer Camp Internship submissions are processed on a first come, first served basis with a final application deadline of March 15, 2016.
Counselor (complete job description)
Camp Assistant/Counselor-in-Training (complete job description)
Production (complete job description)
Stage Management (complete job description)
Internships are usually available in the Fall, Winter/Spring and Summer. Although Northlight internships are unpaid, our interns receive college credit (as arranged by the student with his or her university), tickets to Northlight shows, and the opportunity to use industry discounts available to members of the Chicago theatre community.
A complete Northlight Theatre internship online application includes the following documents, which you will upload in the application form:
- Your cover letter indicating area(s) of interest and enthusiasm
- Your professional resume including administrative and theatrical experience
- Two letters of recommendation (can be sent separately to firstname.lastname@example.org or faxed to 847.679.1879)
Once we have received your application we will be in touch to confirm receipt of your materials, request additional information if necessary, and/or set-up an interview.
Fall: Internship application deadline July 1; internship start date September 15.
Spring: Internship application deadline November 1; internship start date January 15.
Summer: Internship application deadline March 1; internship start dates for summer vary, based on the internship. Most departments begin June 1, and summer camp internships begin mid-June.
*start dates are flexible